Alzheimer’s also sometimes referred to in slang as “Old Timers”, since it happens to the elderly, is the most common form of dementia. It is quite common and expected to grow in incidence.
Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease. Forgetfulness is usually the most common initial symptom. People in the initial stage of this disease being to forget people, places and things they are accustomed to. They forget their daily routine and have a difficult time making decisions. There are different stages of Alzheimers, and, unfortunately forgetfulness in the initial stage is minor compared to what may be to come.
As this disease progresses the patient becomes more and more dependent on others to help them with simple tasks. It can be quite upsetting for an Alzheimer’s sufferers loved ones to see the deteriorating effect this disease has.
While the exact cause of Alzheimer’s is not yet known there are some factors that seem to contribute to it. These are age, high blood pressure, a smoking habit, high cholesterol, previous head injury or Down’s Syndrome.
Here are some remedies and tips for dealing with Alzheimer’s;
1. Diet – drink vegetable juices as they have many enzymes and antioxidants that are beneficial
2. Proper Sleep – getting some sunlight during the day and taking the natural supplement Melatonin before going to bed at night seems to help with getting a proper night of sleep
3. B Vitamins – B12, B6 and Folic Acid have been shown to lower homocysteine levels. It is believed that high homocysteine levels in the brain cause damage which leads to the development and progression of Alzheimer’s
4. Gingko Biloba – this is often recommended for Alzheimer’s patients. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help protect the brain cells.
5. Brain Stimulation – It is recommended to keep the brain occupied and stimulated. Such things as puzzles or word games are good methods.
6. Herbal Teas – Green tea is an excellent supplement for most everybody and particularly those with Alzheimer’s
7. Omega 3 Fatty Acids – Supplementation with this may help in the early stages of this disease to protect cognitive function.
8. Lecithin – I’ve read of some using lecithin and achieving a reversal of the effects of this disease
There are no ways to be sure that any of the above, Alzheimer’s treatment, will work for your particular case of this disease so it might be a matter of trial and error until you find the right method for you or your loved one.