Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, which serve as the main air passages to your lungs. If you or someone you care for suffer with bronchitis natural remedies are plentiful to help you so we will look at some of these here.
There are two main types of bronchitis. Acute bronchitis is typically caused by the same viruses that cause the common cold, and you will tend to get better in a matter of a few days. Acute bronchitis often follows a cold or the flu, when your resistance is down and your lungs may already be slightly irritated.
Acute bronchitis can be contagious being that it is caused by the viruses that cause the common cold.
Chronic bronchitis, on the other hand, is a form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chronic bronchitis is often caused by cigarette smoking or breathing in fumes and dusts for an extended period of time. Chronic bronchitis usually results in long-term respiratory problems.
So what are some typical bronchitis symptoms?
1. Wheezing or shortness of breath
3. Tightness of the chest
4. Irritated throat (caused by the coughing)
5. Thick yellow or green mucus
6. Rattling sensation in the lungs and chest
7. Chills and achiness
8. Low grade fever
Bronchitis can lead to pneumonia so is a very serious condition that should not be ignored. Your recovery from this condition is largely dependent on the strength of your immune system. Your doctor will most likely prescribe bronchitis antibiotics to treat you, however, with acute bronchitis, since it will usually go away in a few days, (despite the fact that the coughing may last longer than that) you can usually just let it run its course. Anything you do to boost your immune system would be a help.
Bronchitis natural treatments;
1. Rest – get lots of rest to help your body heal itself.
2. Water – drink lots of water to help flush out toxins as well as to keep your body hydrated. Other fluids such as soups and teas are beneficial as well.
3. Eucalyptus Oil – Eucalyptus oil contains anti-viral properties so inhaling this oil can help to soothe the bronchial tubes.
4. Echinacea – this herb helps to boost your immune system which will help your body fight off the virus.
5. Humidify Your Environment – this helps your body to bring up the sputum and cough it out which is the body’s way of removing the virus. A steamy bath or shower can help as well as boiling water in a pot with the eucalyptus oil mentioned above or even peppermint oil can also help.
6. Gargling – you can try gargling with salt and warm water or another method is to use hydrogen peroxide. Do not swallow these, just gargle and spit out. They help to soothe an irritated throat.
7. Honey – this helps to soothe your throat and also has some other beneficial properties so you could add some to your tea if you do not want to consume it directly.
8. Lemons – can be added again to a tea. These help rid the respiratory system of bacteria and mucus.
9. Ginger – ginger works as an expectorant and is often used in tea for helping with bronchitis.
Be sure to post a comment about what worked for you or if you know of any other natural remedies not listed here please feel free to share them here with others who are part of our community. Thanks for sharing.
Take the time to find the help and the natural treatment you need, and you’ll be able to get on with your life and enjoy it to the fullest. You deserve to be happy and healthy and pain-free.
To Your Optimal Health,